Commonwealth Universities Yearbook, Association of Commonwealth universities, London
Financial Aid for First Degree Study at Commonwealth Universities, Association of Commonwealth Universities London
MORE TO THINK ABOUT
1. In the first two sections of this chapter we have discussed certain features of the structure of the university and of the
Ate degree course in Australia . Compare this with the university system in your own country. In particular:
Make a list of the titles and functions of university which it would be useful for new students to know.
Construct a figure showing a typical undergraduate v: course in your own country (use the example on p. 25 as s model) and explain what regulations applay to it.
2. If it is possible to obtain a University or Faculty handbook for an overseas university or college, study it and try to work out a degree course structure for yourself. (You may find some books in Embassies or your university library. Maybe a a student who has returned from studying overseas will be able to lend one.) Discuss this with a fellow student or with students who have returned from study overseas and whether your proposed courseems to meet all the official regulations.
3 Arrange a discussion in your class on the subject of Assessment Questions you can cover would include:
- What is the purpose of assessment?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of multiplechoice versus essay exams?
- What benefits and problems can you see arising open-book and take-home styles of exam we have in this chapter?
(If you want to practise a more formal tutorial discussion, three members of your group to make a short (5 minute), each speaker discussing one of the aspects listeda above.Then the whole class can join in with questions and discussion)